Download: Massimo's CV (1203)
Architect and interior designer, Massimo has worked for different renewed architecture offices before founding his own studio.
He was founder and director, until 2011, of Externalreference architects, architectural studio awarded with “New Italian Blood” prize as best Italian office under 36.
In summer 2011 he founded his own studio in Barcelona, which main aim is to add cultural significance to emerging advanced technologies.
Since 2007 Massimo has been teaching interior design courses at IED (Istituto Europeo di Design) in Barcelona and, from 2007 to 2011, he was also director of the master course of interior design for commercial spaces.
He has been lecturer in events in collaboration with Politecnico di Milano, IUAV, Elisava and Cardiff University.
Massimo’s work has been exhibited in various cultural events including London Architecture Festival, Venice’s Biennale and Eme3.
In 2008 Massimo won the first prize for the renovation of “Corti di Baires” in Milan, a project for the rehabilitation of 22.000 square meters of city centre estate for residential, commercial and service use. In 2007, he was awarded the “Valencia Crea” prize for interior design.
His publications include articles and projects published in several international magazines as Frame Magazine, Blueprint, Domus, Pasajes and Interni.
2011 – Founds his own practice.
2007 – 2011 Founder and architect at Externalreference architecture studio, Barcelona.
2006 – 2007 Foreign Office Architects, Barcelona/London.
2005 – 2006 Mizien Arquitectura, Barcelona.
2004 – 2005 Vicente Guallart, Whyart projects, Barcelona.
2003 – 2004 M. G. Grasso Cannizzo, Vittoria, Italy.2
2004 Architectural Association, London.
2003 Università di Palermo, Italy. Degree in architecture.
1998 – 1999 Gesamt Hochschule, Kassel, Germany, Erasmus student program.3
2011 Work in process: global problems, local solutions, Eme3 Architecture festival, Barcelona.
- “Private space”, for the Master course in Interior design, NABA, Milano.
- Selected projects, IUAV, Istituto Universitario di Architettura di Venezia, Italy.
2009 City concepts, processi fra inerzia e progetto, for the International Phd summer school organized by Politecnico di Milano, Urban Center, Bergamo, Italy.
2008 Cardiff University architecture workshop, Barcelona, Spain.4
Since 2007, teacher in interior design Master and Courses, IED – Istituto europeo di design, Barcelona.
2007-2011 Director at Interior design Master, IED – Istituto europeo di design, Barcelona.
- Materials and techniques for sustainable buildings, Master, Università degli studi di Palermo.
- IED Goes shopping, commercial spaces for the school, 3rd year course in Interior design. IED, Barcelona.
2010 Interazioni, Workshop, in collaboration with IUAV Istituto Universitario di Architettura di Venezia, Biennale di Venezia, spazio per la didattica.
2008 Arquitectura de emergencia, Workshop as part of Interior design Master program directed by Ignasi Perez Arnal, ELISAVA,Escola superior de disseny, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain.
- New Italian Blood, first prize, Best Italian architects practice under 36.
- Temps de Flors, temporary installation, selected and built, Girona, Spain.
- Valencia Crea competition, special mention, Modafad 2009, Barcelona.
- Arrasar, Bookshop+exhibit space, third prize, Barcelona.
- “Le Corti di Baires”, competition, 1st prize, rehabilitation of 22.000 square meters in the centre of the city for residential, commercial and service use, Milano, Italy.
- “Toulouse Aerospace Campus”, competition, 1st prize (in collaboration with FOA), Toulouse, France.
- Premio Vaccarini for contemporary architecture in Sicily.
- Valencia Crea, 1st prize (interiors category), for the “Coso cafe” project.
- “Arcate di Greco”, competition, Honoured mention, Milano.
- “EUROPAN7″, 3rd prize, Lückenwalde, Germany.
- “Machu Picchu 2004″, competition, Honoured mention, project for a Hotel in Cusco, Perù.
- New Italian Blood, NIB Prize Travelling exhibition, Sciacca, Siracusa, Ragusa, Ferrara, Milano, Treviso, Venezia.
- Eme3, Architecture festival, Work in process: global problems local solutions, with Iniziare dal basso, Barcelona.
- Stazione Futuro. Qui si rifà l´italia. Officine Grandi Riparazioni, Torino, Italy. “Iniziare dal basso”.
2010 Biennale di Venezia, Padiglione Italia, with casa Alvarez and Vespella graveyard projects.
- 12xmilano, Urban Center Milano, Galleria Vittorio emanuele, with a video installation: Public spaces, homeopathy and test cases on wheels.
- Dreaming Milano Projects, Dreams and Visions for a changing city, Fondazione Mazzotta, Video installation: Public spaces, homeopathy and test cases on wheels.
2008 London festival of architecture with L’ albero, Kindergarten, Milano.
2007 Sicilia-Olanda, Le ciminiere, Catania, Italy.
2006 Siciliarchitettura_sicilian architects under 30: SESV, Firenze, Italy.
2004 ISOLA, Stewens Gallery, Palermo, Italy.
2002 SAD 2002 The new european way(s) of life, with the project X-table, Carousel du Louvre, Paris, France.
- Ilovesicilia, 40 architetti siciliani, Palermo.
- Il Sole 24 Ore, Progetti concorsi, Gli Under 36 di New Italian Blood.
- Inhabitat, Giant robots made of recycled yellow beer crates. Green design will save the world.
- Interior public space, The feast of superbox, Fitting trend, Shenzen, China.
- E-Architect, The Calls Leeds : Architecture Information.
- Materia, Issue 66, Made in Italy, Italians do it better, article by Luca Molinari, Milano, Italy, pp 48-53. Casa Alvarez project.
- BLUEPRINT, Issue 290, New territories young italian architect, article by Luca Molinari, London, pp42-47.
- Skira Yearbook of world architecture, The 12xMilano series Public spaces, homeopathy and test cases on wheels by ExternalReference Architects.
- Skira_Ymag, ModaFad 2009 Project, November post.
- Interni Untit-led, table lamp.
- Arte e critica, L ́albero, Kindergarden.
- Future magazine, Issue 11, Reflections from External reference architects, with The thinnest skyscraper ever and Madrid Law court, interview, Spain, pp 10-13.
- Frame magazine, with Coso café project.
- Via Construcción, Actualidad y futuro de arquitectura española, interview, Spain, pp 84-85.
- Dezeen.com, with Coso café project.
- Disey 07, with Vespella graveyard project, Spain.
- Pasajes n 86 p16-18, with Muuh house, housing in Os Capelos, Spain.
- Via Construcción, with Vespella graveyard project, Spain.
2006 Siciliarchitettura, Exhibition catalogue, Palermo, Italy.
2002 The new european way of life, SAD 2002, Exhibition catalogue, Paris.8
Please visit the ‘Works’ section of the site for a selection of past and current projects.